Exploring lived experience
Cognitive science from the first-person perspective
Online Course (5 ECT)
The program begins with an online course which consists of 12 webinars, taking place from March to May 2021. Each webinar provides lecture, inputs, audio-visual information, plus an interactive part with an international TECT expert, including discussions and/or exercises. Practices and working in groups and pairs will allow to experience a very learning-community. Teachers/trainers are come from all TECT partner universities and the Micro-phenomenology Lab.
Interdisciplinary foundations of Embodied Critical Thinking:
- Introducing approaches to embodied cognition in philosophy and cognitive science
- The challenge of the first-person perspective and lived experience in the understanding of consciousness
- Mindfulness and Brain Modeling
- Artificial Intelligence and Embodied Thinking
- Environmental immersion and design thinking
- Introducing the Methods of TECT with a special emphasis on situated thinking in environmental context: “Focusing”, “Thinking-at-the-Edge”, “Reflexive Care”, “Close Talking”, “radical listening”, “Environmental Immersion”.
Summer School (5 ECT)
The summer school will try to answer the question: what is it like to be conscious? We will examine the human mind from the first-person perspective – the perspective that is most common, most intimate, but yet, quite unfamiliar.
The main part of the summer school will be dedicated to hands-on work and practice. We will learn about and apply various approaches of gathering and reporting on lived experience, such as micro-phenomenology and meditative self-inquiry. To ground our experiential insights, the accompanying lectures will lead us through the history of introspective and phenomenology-based research. We will study the current efforts of positioning the first-person perspective within the mosaic of the broader studies of mind. The lectures will cover aspects of embodied, embedded, and affective cognition, as well as the neuroscience of consciousness, phenomenology, and epistemology.
Summer School Teachers
Independent Project (5 ECT)
The independent projects are the final step in the TECT program and take place following the summer schools. They are pursued across the field of environment, design and/or philosophy and are supervised by a TECT teacher of the students / researcher’s choice.